Summer is on the horizon, which means it’s time to experiment with lessons that will engage students through the final stretch, as well as to look forward to exciting professional development opportunities in coming months. Below we take a look at some SmartBinder upgrades, summer workshop opportunities, and some embeddable tools and apps we’d recommend for all teachers and organizations capitalizing on digital education!
All Alchemy SmartBinder- from free Flip users to Collaborate and Engage users- will experience three upgrades on their accounts today!:
- Text Editor- The new text editor allows full formatting capabilities and image embedding for all Text material in lessons.
- Embed Codes- You can now embed any web-based tool or site with a sufficiently secured embed code (think maps, timelines, storytelling apps, etc) directly into your Alchemy lesson viewer.
- New Responsive Lesson Viewer Style- And check out our new and sleek looking lesson viewer (see right) that is responsive on all devices and phones!
Featured Cultural Institution: Civil War Trust
The Civil War Trust’s Summer Event – From July 17-20 in Atlanta, Georgia the Civil War Trust will host its 21st Teacher Institute. The event is four days full of workshops and tours led by historians and educators. Some special guests include Todd Groce, Jared Frederick, Vince Dooley and many more! Additionally, registration to the event is free for friends of Alchemy Learning when you registerwith this link:www.civilwar.org/AlchemyAtlanta.
In addition to free registration, there will also be free classroom materials, plentiful travel scholarships and free continuing education credits.
From the Blog
- To check out other teacher professional development opportunities this summer, check out our most recent blog that features upcoming conferences, workshops, and edcamps.
- For those teachers who still have a few weeks of lesson planning to do before summer, you may want to check out our blog that address the question “How Can I Use Technology to Keep My Students Engage Through the End of the Year?”
- The final days of the school year are a great time to experiment with apps and web-tools you can embed into digital lessons. Our blog takes a look at an array of apps, from storytelling to cartoon and comic-creation tools, you can use to engage students in learning.
- Finally, every teacher knows the motivated students that can’t get enough knowledge, even over the summer. In our next post, we take a look at those apps and sites to which you can direct students for valuable self-directed learning.
In the Community
Building on earlier posts “What Digital Instructions Means for Teachers” Parts One and Two, Alchemy Learning co-founders Henry Blue and Win Smith have shared their perspectives on What Digital Instruction Means for School Leadership as well as Why Cultural Institutions Must Capitalize on Digital Education– check out the posts and your comments are appreciated!
Alchemy Learning, founded in 2012 in Baltimore, MD, provides cloud-based curriculum creation, management, and dissemination tools for cultural institutions, teachers, and schools. To find out how your organization can do more with digital education, Contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org.